A round of applause for these people

With the end of another school year and the flurry of reports, exams and other (unnecessary) minutiae of school life bearing down fast, I thought I’d better get in fast and nominate a few fellow bloggers for the 2008 Edublogs Awards.

Here are my ‘picks of the year’.

Best individual blog – Darcy Moore’s ‘Darcy’s Blog’ is at times wonderfully eclectic work of a school administrator with vision and passion that makes him jump the 40ft chasm not in two 20ft steps (like many others in his position) but with one leap and lots of room to spare. I have often said to Darcy “your staff are lucky to have you”.

Best new blog – Rob Abbey’s ‘Journeys on the Road’ (recently changed to ‘Life and Learning’, the link here is live). And I only started to read this a couple of weeks ago! This is a thinker’s blog that starts to go beyond the obvious and the often superficial hype. It is a thoughtful mesh of critical thinking and experience I would recommend to anyone with a bend for educational philosophy.

Most influential blog post -Chris Betcher’s ‘The Truth is Out There’ The stirrer from Sydney. This post generated much excellent discussion among my colleagues and my senior students and I am grateful to Chris for elaborating many of my own views.

Best Ed-Tech support – Julian Ridden’s ‘Moodleman Blog’ The Moodle wizard I have not yet met in person yet but I feel we have known each other for years through some wonderful collaboration. While Moodle is in his bloodstream, there is much more to Julian’s writing than just that. Thank you for all the tips and eye-openers.

Best teacher blog – Tony Searl’s ‘Sliced bread’ Now here is another bloke I could have a beer with tomorrow and it would be like we have known each other for years. His reply to one of my own posts (My f*%$#ing goosebump story) is a classic to treasure. Cheers!

(Hmmm, just noticed – all my nominees are male, please don’t read into this much 🙂 )

The special mention list is long…

Sue Waters, the wonderful, choc-loving and ever helpful Twitter fiend

Bryn Jones, the tireless (and priceless) local “wise guy” from Fremantle

Kathry Greenhill, a fellow Murdoch University alumni and Emerging Tech guru

Mary Cooch, the thoughtful Moodle hot potato from the UK

Rhys Moult, the Adelaide ‘jack of all trades’, social networker par excellence and the best practical joker in this group 🙂

Mark Callagher, the right-on Kiwi targeting secondary schools

Jenny Millea, a dynamo of thought and action

… and more (this is a bit unfair to a stack of other people but I am sure they’ll live 🙂 ) !

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and efforts throughout the year.

To a newbie to the world of blogging like me, this has been truly a memorable (first) year and in no small part thanks to your writing, comments, reactions and arguments.

Best wishes to all.

Tomaz

8 thoughts on “A round of applause for these people”

1. My new motto is “jump the 40ft chasm but not in two 20ft steps” – what a line. Cheers Tomaz, you are too generous.

I look forward to exploring some of the blogs on your ‘special mention’ lst which I as yet, have not read.

Thanks for the commendation :O)).

2. …and *thank you* Tomaz. I’m able to point to your blog to tell staff where I work – “this is not just an external thing that will hit our state later, these kids are going to be stepping into our lecture theatres – are we ready yet??”

And thanks for linking to Bryn Jones’ blog. We went to a Community Information conference together waaaaaaay back when he was a Councillor for City of Fremantle and I was running their Community Information Service. I actually hauled my modem in from home to give a demo to the directors about this “internet” thing that I thought they should be paying *lots* of attention to – and it was very nice to have someone on Council who already knew what I was talking about…

3. Thanks Tomaz for the kind words. I’m trying hard to give up the chocolate but being an addict it is hard. Looking forward to us all catching up again soon.

4. Mr Lasic
    You are too kind.
    Awards for blogging? who would have thunk it?
    I’ll need to consider some, 70:20:10 rule for PD I subscribe to, now, who was that again….

I blog to purge my frustrations, it helps.
    Your nom is gratefully received.

now far more importantly about that shared ale

5. We all stand on each others shoulders Tomaz. Thank you.

Rob
    and I am with tony: now for the beer!

6. Hehe, the Stirrer from Sydney. I like it. I don’t usually mean to stir (well, perhaps just a little), but rather I just try to write what’s on my mind. So glad that you found some value in it. Thanks again for the nomination, it’s quite an honour to even get mentioned for such a thing.
    Cheers mate!
    chris

7. Hi Tomaz – my sleuthing skills aren’t working too well this Sunday morning. Is your email address on this blog?

Anyhow … Congratulations – I’m at the Edublog awards in Second Life and just found out that you won Second Prize in the “Best New Blog” category. Yaaaay!

8. Many articles read, your article is very useful, occasionally there are so few pictures looks very interesting ~ is also very cute, so I learned a lot. Thanks!