Leaving Moodle HQ

Bye Moodle HQ
Bye Moodle HQ ...

I didn’t think I would be writing this roughly a year and a half after joining HQ but here it is.

On Friday, 22nd July, a few days after returning from the Australian MoodleMoot in Sydney with the team (and Mary Cooch, hooray) I will resign from a paid position at Moodle HQ and become again ‘just’ a volunteering member of Moodle community. Like thousands of others without whom Moodle would probably not exist and thrive as it does.

Some people may say ‘What an ungrateful bastard, leaving a great job many would love so dearly to have…”. They’d be right, in their own way.ย  But I am compelled to follow an even greater, deeper interest and passion than Moodle.

I am joining a small team of educators at a small school just south of Perth. The school, a pretty unconventional one, has about 80 students who have disengaged with education, for all sorts of reasons. These are teenagers to whom life has not been kind (and many of them haven’t been exactly kind to others, let’s not pretend…) and whom the mainstream schools would not touch (anymore). The school is less than year old and is soon becoming a Big Picture school. I will no doubt write more about Big Picture approach but this and its motto ‘ One student at a time in a community of learners’ should give you an idea.

Thank you Martin and the team at HQ. I am not really ‘leaving’ Moodle (how could I ๐Ÿ˜€ ) since I will certainly be involved and contribute further, I just won’t be there every day to shout at the couriers (an in-joke…).

And besides, the school uses Moodle and they are looking for someone to take it beyond uploading a few files…

40 comments

1. Lee Allan Sanders

Sounds like an energy transfer to a location with greater needs, better aligned with your heart. Haven’t been following you for very long, but already am greatful to know you. Cheers mate, and may the road rise to meet you as you go *:-)

2. Lee Allan Sanders

3. Stephan Rinke

Dear Tomaz,

ลฝelim vam vse najboljลกe!

I’m sure it’s the right decision if you are following your heart and that’s what it sounds like in your post.

It’s great knowing you and I’m sure we’ll keep in touch since you won’t stop blogging here, will you?

Have a good start to your job! Hope to meet you sometime in person,

Stephan

4. Stephan Rinke

Dear Tomaz,

ลฝelim vam vse najboljลกe!

Stephan

5. Michael

We’ll miss you, mate. I’ll miss you. But you will always be an example to us.

6. Michael

7. Alex

Good luck with your new challenge. We still have to run a marathon together ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Alex

9. Tony Searl

Looking forward to your observations of Big Picture. Exciting times. All the best my friend.

10. Tony Searl

11. Mark Drechsler

Tomaz,

Thank you for your contributions in a formal sense to Moodle HQ, I have no doubt that the contributions you’ll make in the field and as a member of the community will be even better ๐Ÿ™‚

See you at the Moot and beyond!

Mark.

12. Mark Drechsler

Tomaz,

See you at the Moot and beyond!

Mark.

13. Jenny Luca

I’ve been reading a lot about Big Picture schools Tomaz. Can’t think of anyone better to be contributing to the model of learning embodied in these schools. Good luck with the change.
    Jenny : )

14. Jenny Luca

Jenny : )

15. monika hardy

ah. sounds perfect for you. i love it.
    and we love the Met.

can’t wait to hear more. perhaps a google + video chat is in order.

16. monika hardy

ah. sounds perfect for you. i love it.
    and we love the Met.

17. Mary

Oh Tomaz – how I totally understand!! Looking forward to seeing you and Perth soon – I hope the fact that you will have already resigned doesn’t mean they’ll lock the doors on Moodle HQ on you as I was hoping for a quick look in ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Mary

19. Diana Dell

Wishing you much success in your new position. How fortunate for the school and the students! I look forward to reading about your successes in the coming weeks. Wishing you happy teaching and continued learning! ๐Ÿ˜€

20. Diana Dell

21. human

My goodness, what a string of replies here and on Twitter! Very kind of you all and humbling.

Confirmation of one’s choices can be empty flattery if uttered by strangers, mark of respect if uttered by colleagues. So – thank you!

It is wonderful to hear from some of you (Tony Searl, Jenny Luca, John Larkin, Monika Hardy, Dan McGuire and many others) with whom I haven’t spoken to in a while (just ‘lurked’, as we all do…) but we remain connected in the sense of a (cheesy yet remarkably poignant :D) quote I found on the back of a chocolate once: ‘A friend is like the sun – always there even if unseen’. Something tells me that this new position will make our connections even stronger.

I may call up on you and your own networks too. As always, feel free to reciprocate with queries and suggestions of your own.

Regards and best wishes to you all !

Tomaz

22. human

Regards and best wishes to you all !

Tomaz

23. Joseph Thibault

Thanks for all the great contributions over the past 18 months at Moodle HQ (there are some that will make tremendously lasting impacts). Good to know we can all still learn from your adventures by tuning in here.

Best of luck!

24. Joseph Thibault

Best of luck!

25. Michael Blake

Tomaz, this sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you, but you know you’re going to be missed dearly by Moodle HQ. Glad you’re not going far ๐Ÿ˜‰ Will be in touch!

Best wishes to you and your family!

26. Michael Blake

Best wishes to you and your family!

27. KerryJ

Hi Tomaz!

I just found this out. Wow, so very happy that you have the courage to follow your passion. What a lucky group of kids.

I feel very lucky to have you as part of my network and look forward to reading and hearing about your work.

Warm regards and much respect!

KerryJ

28. KerryJ

Hi Tomaz!

Warm regards and much respect!

KerryJ

29. Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

See you Tomaz! Was great to have you @ HQ, it seems was yesterday when you arrived (one year and a half, wow!).

Surely you’ll do an incredible job in the SMYL and you will enjoy like a “bastard” there! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ™‚

See your here / moodle.org, best wishes!!!

Ciao ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Ciao ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Geoff Allemand

Great news Tomaz. You may not remember but I am heavily involved in Big Picture also (Shepparton, Victoria). Viv White, Big Picture CEO has been encouraging me to look at the SMYL model, which I have been. Very exciting. I will send you an invite to our BP Ning.

32. Geoff Allemand

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>