10 minutes ahead

Oh, the orbital language of ‘21st century skills’ and ‘leadership’.

If you are an educator keen on using technology and wanting others to join you and benefit from it, don’t try to get them to move into “21st century” – just get them to move 10 minutes ahead to the point where they have just learned something simple and useful that will work in their class.

Use the gamers approach to learning – easy entry, easy win then level up and try again. Move them as a colleague, with empathy (“walk in their shoes”) not sympathy (“oh, you poor thing”).

Dean Groom tells it better – thanks mate for this gem. You can tell it below.

(A short blog post never felt better)

3 thoughts on “10 minutes ahead”

1. It’s funny, I was just over at Dean’s blog and it made me think of what you were trying to get across at the local showcase presentation at the edna workshop. I thought I’d mosey over here to see what you might have said on the subject on your blog recently. Looks like we were looking in the same place!

2. Tomaz, thanks for the pointer to Dean’s post. It reminded me to comment upon his post. Here’s a little taste of what I wrote…

“A number of the big names on the circuit are full of sh*t in my opinion. When was the last time they actually taught for a year or more in a school? A real school with real teachers and real kids, all of them with real expectations, real highs and real lows? Even a school that is well equipped? Some of the speakers have simply no idea. They preach their platitudes through rose-coloured glasses.

What do I think? Professional development via small increments. Just in time. Situated. Pass a colleague a better powerpoint. Show them a neat and useful Google search trick. Show them how to really find their files on that computer. Build up their confidence incrementally. Start something up and then let them finish it. Start with small steps. Really small. Steps that provide a sense of achievement rather than a sense of frustration.

“21st century technology”? So what I say? Big thrill!! Ooohh! Ahhh!!! Why not just say “the present” or “now”?”

Cheers from one of your legions of fans, John

@john
    Love your extended comment across at ‘Dean’s place’ (and here of course)! I am so glad to have read Dean’s stuff, then your comment & Ali’s (& hopefully others). Recently, I have felt like a bit of a grump ‘denouncing’ or at least questioning some of the “sacred new sayings” (not that I actually have a problem with that) but you guys return & strengthen my faith in the infinitely small, personal, situated acts of assistance, collegiality and meaningful leadership that is better than all of the ‘grand schemes’ the bean counters want us to build and account for.
    Cheers!

3. Hi- i am an Ancient History teacher with some junior classes.
    I have been the only person interested in creating a wiki- I have had a lot of fun and after 8 months I feel I still have no idea what I am doing.
    Check it out and I will be very interested in your feedback-I’m getting NONE here
    Peter Carnovale

I can be contacted at pietro39@bigpond.com

regards
    P